From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Jim Miller
Sent: Sunday, July 28, 2013 7:51 PM
Cc: elecraft@mailman.qth.net; John Fritze
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] KAT-500 and 30' Flag Pole Antenna Users?

John

When working through your setup consider getting some 7/8" hardline to use
as feed which depending on your run length to the antenna may allow you to
keep the KAT500 in the shack with acceptable loss. You'll still need some
coax jumpers to get from the hardline to the rig inside the house so you'll
need to calculate and add that loss along with the little bit at the
antenna.

Any of the online loss calculators will give you the answers. Use 10:1 as
the max SWR estimate at the antenna to calculate the feedline loss since
the KAT500 can't tune more than that anyway.

Here's some examples: @10:1, LDF5-50, 3.5Mhz, 100ft yields a total loss of
0.32db. Same for 28Mhz yields 0.86db.

http://www.arrg.us/pages/Loss-Calc.htm

Such hardline is readily available at much less than new prices if you buy
used. I paid a bit over $1/ft for mine if you're luck you might even find
it free. Connectors are pricey but since you only need two, no big deal.

The tradeoff is having the tuner in the shack where is it visible and
usable without concerns for weather vs temperature and humidity issues
outside.

73

jim ab3cv

On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 8:24 PM, Javier Campos
<nm6e_...@sbcglobal.net>wrote:

> Thanks to all for the replies. Excellent points and real life experiences
> have provided some valuable insight.
>
> The antenna should be her in about a week or so.
>
> I will use my MFJ antenna analyzer (I hope it still works) after I get it
> standing up and eventually (need to let the "look" set in of just the
> aluminum) for the neighbors before I attach the UNUN and the radials.
>
> After all, it's a "Flag Pole" to my HOA so I just need to let it sit there
> and let the novelty wear off before I attach UNUN, lay the radials and dig
>  the trench for the coax.
>
> It will also give me time to freshen on on plotting the R+jx on the smith
> charts, again after 24+ years from doing in it in college.
>
> Thanks again and you will all here from me once this is all installed and
> put together and on the air.
>
> Javier NM6E/5

GOOD