I do a lot of PSK31 on my K3. I use about 2K of bandwidth when looking for signals. When I start a QSO, I narrow the bandwidth -- some times all the way to 50 Hz -- to limit audio overload to my sound card from nearby loud signals. I have a 250 Hz filter installed, and the reduction in general noise when it cuts in is noticeable. (I am away from my radio at the moment, but I put a fair bit of gain boost into the filter definition for the 250 Hz filter, I think about 6 dB.) Since filter switching in the K3 is automatic with changing the DSP bandwidth, there is no extra work for the operator in having the correct filter in-line.

Cheers - Bill, AE6JV/4