In the case of the Microham devices, as far as I can tell, there is a
cable supplied that has a direct connection to the rs232 port on the
k3.

The microHAM products require a direct hardware connection to the
transceiver - period, no exceptions.  However, they support the
equivalent of a 57,600 bps connection for transceivers that operate
that fast (e.g. TenTec) so 38,400 bps is not an issue with the K3.

Most "normal" logging software works just fine with the microHAM
interface (microHAM Router) as long as the software can tolerate
issues like delayed responses and "extra" data when the K3 changes
bands - this includes N1MM Logger, Writelog, etc.  Some software -
particularly software that emits multiple polls at a time (e.g.
DXLab Commander, N1MM Logger, etc.) work best if there is at least
200 to 250 milliseconds between polls (mostly to account for the
maximum latency during a band change).

There is one possibility though which I have not tried nor thas
anyone else: If you connect Win4k3 aux/cat port directly to a
physical port, and then connect the Microham rs232 cable to this
serial port via a null modem cable, then it will see the radio
without all of the polling going though the Microham.

Connecting the serial output of the microHAM interface to another
software program (other that PowerSDR emulating a Kenwood transceiver
for Flex-1000/1500/3000/5000) is not acceptable.  When configured for
a single application (one CAT port), microHAM Router is completely
transparent - data from the application to the radio and data from the
radio to the application are passed without regard to "poll/response
matching" and Router does not insert its own polling as long as the
application polls for the required information (FA; FB; IF; DT; DV;
and SB; in the case of the K3).  The microHAM interfaces will not
tolerate a CPU reset or "raw" EPROM dumps for any transceiver.

In addition, microHAM Router will create a virtual null modem that
allows linking other software to each other (e.g., linking OmniRig
to DXLab CI-V Commander's Secondary CAT Serial Port) which could
certainly be used to link a logging program to the Aux port in
an application like Win4K3.

> Anyone in the montreal area that can lend a Microham for a few days?

I'm nowhere near Montreal.  However, as the microHAM distributor for
the Americas, I am always happy to test (and document) any *full*
*function* software (I do not deal with time limited or crippled
software as it becomes impossible to provide ongoing user support) in
the microHAM environment (as I currently do for at least a dozen
logging packages and a similar number of digital, CW and utility
applications).  Example configurations for most the software tested is
available at www.microHAM-USA.com/support.html for each interface if
that software is compatible with the microHAM products and of general
interest.

73,

   ... Joe Subich, W4TV
       microHAM America, LLC.