So far nobody has mentioned insulation material. The rating of a cable has little to do with melting the wire and mostly to do with melting or softening the insulation which would create a shock and/ or fire hazard. The same size wire insulated with PVC is allowed to rise to a much lower temperature compared to insulation of PTFE or numerous other materials. And what is good or bad for mains circuits will not be the same in a vehicle or aircraft circuit.

David
G3UNA

----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Wilhelm" <w3...@embarqmail.com>
To: <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Monday, October 07, 2013 11:14 PM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Elecraft Digest, Vol 114, Issue 11

OK Joe, You are correct. It has been a very long time since I have been involved with heat related science issues. More current equals more heat (for a given resistance) has been sufficient for me most of the time without getting into the exact math.

It is good to know that some folks here still have those formulas on the top of their heads.

73,
Don W3FPR

On 10/7/2013 5:31 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:
> Geesh, how is that possible - twice the current equals twice as much
> heat and will exceed the capacity of the wire.

Sorry, Don ... twice the current => *four times* the heat. Heat
(energy in Joules) = Watts * seconds.  One Joule (one Watt-second)
is 2.78e-7 kW*h

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV