Ed, normally you would need just a standard straight thru male to female serial cable with just pins 2, 3 and 5 used to go from the PC to the amp. With some devices, like SteppIR controllers, you also have to jumper pin 7 to pin 9 at the device end of the cable to provide a handshaking loopback. The device has to be set for Kenwood protocol, 4800 baud. I don't know enough about the 2k-fa to know if that's possible, or what connector it uses.

Larry N8LP

On 10/25/2013 5:22 AM, elecraft-requ...@mailman.qth.net wrote:
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 17:35:54 -0500
From: Ed Stallman<n...@airmail.net>
To:elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] K3 to Expert Amp cable ?

Hello Group

My 2k-fa will be here in a week of so , in preparation I bought 2 ea DB9
Female and 2 ea DB15 male connectors (SO2R)

Here's my setup : K3 connected to computer using LP-Pan and LP-Bridge to
connect to N1MM and NAP3 ... Looking in LP-Bridge , I have a Output Com
Port #1 and #2 and on my computer I have unused DB9 ports .

My question's : Did I buy the correct DB15 connector ? Can someone
please tell me the connection from the DB9 to the DB15 ? I will not be
using ALC  or the option to turn on the 2K-FA with the K3 , simply need
the CAT.

#2 K3 and computer will be setup  the same.

Thanks for your help

Ed N5DG