Tom,

Use a USB to serial adapter with an FTDI chipset - the Prolific chipset does not like to run at the slower rate required by the K2.

I have also had success with a Keyspan adapter.
If you want to go 'first class', use an Edgeport USB to serial converter - I have a 4 port model that works flawlessly. Note that this is usually referred to as a 'converter' rather than an 'adapter' - it is often used in commercial environments and is quite robust - those termed 'adapter' are usually intended for the consumer market, and the relative price indicates that fact. When I bought mine, they were selling on Ebay for a very low price, someone had a big pile of used ones that he was selling off.

73,
Don W3FPR