I had a converter with the prolific chipset and the driver created such problems in my computer that I had to reload the OS in my Win7 laptop! I found the Sabrent brand (They advertise FTDI chipset on the package) that worked flawlessly (used two with a single driver installed to control K3 from a Win7 laptop) BUT the noise output with them was very high ... So now shopping around for ones with shielded cables. Anyway ... for the moment ... back to my HB Win2000 machine with real serial ports and NO issues. I am looking at Don's suggestion with the Edgeport unit.

My 2 cents.

73, Mike WA5POK

From: "John Lemay" <j...@carltonhouse.eclipse.co.uk>
Sent: Wednesday, November 06, 2013 3:49 AM
To: <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Serial Connection for K2

I similarly spent ages hunting down noise from my PC and associated cables.

There are USB leads available which have a transparent outer sheath, which
"show off" the silver plated screen. I thought this was just a gimmick, but
it turns out they were quite effective. Remember you'll probably need
ferrites on both ends of the run with a minimum of one turn through each
ferrite. For many purposes, just clipping a choke on the cable is not
effective - depending on your frequency of interest and the level of noise.

Good luck !

John G4ZTR