Lots of good advice here.

Win7 is a good choice if you can get it on new laptops.  It’s not always
available anymore and Win8 is a PIA.
One thing I didn’t see mentioned and it probably a good indication of adequate
performance is to get a laptop with Wireless N capability.  These days, some
lower end laptops still do not come with this.  Spend a little more and you
won’t regret it.
For example the used IBM’s Don mentions theres some at $250 and some at 295.
The ones at 295 have wireless N networking adapters.

va2fsq