Any discussion of early RTTY brings back warm memories.  I fell in love with
RTTY when I first heard the diddle sounds in the headphones of my Ocean Hopper
in the late 50's.  Didn't really get a chance to work it until I was out of
college in the 70's when I bought a Model 19 TTY with paper tape punch and
reader from a friend.  The whole thing (TTY, punch, reader, and current loop
power supply)  must have weighed well over 300 lbs. I ran it with an Eldico
R-104/T-102 for HF Rx/Tx, and eventually on VHF using a comparatively tiny
Wilson HT.  I bought a used pair of small transistor circuit boards that
converted the audio characters (diddle) to current loop characters (90ma
current loop???) for RX and TX.  The boards had burned at one point, were
repaired by an owner before me, and again by me when some of the solder joints
failed. Sold it all in 1984 when I knew my job would be moving me around and I
just couldn't lug all that stuff with me;
 besides, computers had taken off and they could easily replace most of that
stuff.  Today, a KX3/KXPA100/Acer W3 gives me the same capabilities, weighs
under 5 lbs. (not 300 lbs.) and fits in the space taken up by the paper tape
punch alone! Now I miss the sounds of the motor in the TTY starting up as you
approach a signal, the ker-crunch of the TTY keys as the signal is tuned in
properly, the slight whisp of oil in the air, the ascii art (or more correctly,
Baudot art) and more.  I had a CQ tape, a CQ Reply tape, a Brag tape, etc.
taped to the front of the Model 19 which acted as primitive Macros.  You would
load each tape into the reader as the QSO progressed.  Sadly, computers didn't
replace that character.  Maybe the next generation will talk about the
character that waterfalls have!         Ltrs Ltrs CR CR LF FL

Mark
KE6BB