Craig,

The KX3 is a "full SDR" radio (the K3 is as well). By virtue of the modulation and demodulation all being done the firmware rather than in hardware. Yes, the KX3 does have knobs which are used to pass parameters to the firmware - the "computer" is inside the KX3 and no external computer is required.

There are some (maybe many) who believe an external computer is required for the radio to be a "full SDR" but I am not in that group.

There are others who believe that one must have a panadapter display to be a "full SDR", and again, I am not a member of that 'camp'. The KX3 with an external computer can have a panadapter display. It has RX I and Q outputs which can be fed to a soundcard and applications such as HDSDR, NaP3, or several other applications can provide that type display, and even provide some level of rig control through the mouse and keyboard.

If you choose the Flex, an external computer is required - with the KX3, it is optional. If you are one who would like to experiment with the SDR software rather than using the 'stock' version, then you might be more interested in the Flex or one of the other SDR radios that do use the external computer for modulation and demodulation.

73,
Don W3FPR