I've not had to ship anything worth $4,000 so have not encountered any packing issues with USPS, UPS, or Fedex.

But I would like to say a word about those Pelican Cases. I first encountered them in the workplace 15 years ago when we had a portable VHF repeater built-into one of the smaller size cases. The foam padding makes for a very secure shipping package.

I liked the idea so much I built my 10-GHz portable station into one. I had room for a few tools, horn antenna, and some spare parts and even a small sealed acid battery. Originally, I could carry it on airplanes for trips. Post 911, TSA screening made that dubious, so one year I shipped the pelican case by Fedex using no extra external packing. I did add a hardened brass combo lock (which was fine for Fedex; I did open the case so the Fedex clerk could see what is inside).
Note that airlines do not guarantee electronic items in checked luggage.

Everything survived fine. My KX3 will be riding in this case in place of the FT-817 I used to own.

I got it back because this was not shipping for mfr repairs.

I informed the hotel and they were happy to hold it in their baggage room a few days until my arrival. Fedex just delivered to the hotel. This did cost shipping but that is the reality of flying these days.

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com
    "Kits made by KL7UW"
Dubus Mag business: