Hi Joe,
The KPAK3AUX Cable set (includes a DE15HD 15-pin cable, to attach the K3 ACC to
the KPA500 AUX connectors, and a Y-Cable to be able to use the other signals on
the K3's ACC connector, like DIGOUT1 to turn on the 6-meter preamp, or the band
signals for an antenna decoder/switcher, plus a Keying Line Interrupter).  You
probably got this with your KPA500.

When you get the KAT500 you should also get the  E850863 cable, which is
identical to the 15-pin cable you have in the KPAK3AUX cable set.  (You can,
though, use a 15-pin DE15HD cable (NOT a SVGA cable), but it is just easier to
get the correct cable from Elecraft.)

So when you get the KAT500, unplug the 15-pin cable from the KPA500 AUX
connector and connect it to the KAT500 XCVR connector.  (This give a 15-pin
cable from the K3 ==> KAT500).  Now, connect the E85o863 cable from the KAT500
AMP connector to the KPA500 AUX connector.

Here's what is should look like:

K3 ACC <========> KAT500 XCVR  KAT500 AMP <=======> KPA500 AUX

Where <=====> are the 15-pin DE15HD cables.

That's all you need to get going.  You will NOT need a RCA keying cable because
all the keying control is in the 15-pin cables.

The Y-cable is used if you want to use, say, DIGOUT1 to switch a 6m preamp.
Then plug one end of the Y-cable into the K3 ACC connector and use the two ends
of the Y to go to the 15-pin cable going to the KAT500 and to the preamp.

73,
Fred KE7X

Fred Cady
Fred KE7X
"The Elecraft K3: Design, Configuration and Operation 2nd ed"
"The Elecraft KX3 - Going for the summit"
www.ke7x.com or www.lulu.com
(Coming soon: "The Elecraft KPA500 and KAT500 - the K-Line Dream Station")

fcady at ieee dot org