Hi Jim:

When I ran an ST-8000 (not A) 20+ years ago I usually set it up to regenerate
the tones on receive. Then I ran the tones into a KAM and used an appropriate
KAM type program. Transmit was usually from the KAM directly as the setup was
simpler and I didn't see a real advantage in using the HAL.

Today you could do the same thing with a sound card instead of the KAM. Might
be able to regenerate on transmit as well - could be cleaner that way, don't
remember if it's possible.

HTH es 73
-Pete
WB2QLL