I am pleased to relate that I seem to have finally nailed this problem, and
I think many of those who gave me helpful advice and the Elecraft design
team will be interested in learning what the final diagnosis and cure turned
out to be. A quick recap: About 2 months ago, operating at about 75W into my
trusty OCFD, the KAT500, KPA500 and K3 SWR readings shot up into the red and
all DX fun ended abruptly. The problem remained, so I started looking for
the culprit: I pruned tree branches that were touching the antenna after a
recent storm. No joy. I replaced my 300W 4:1 balun at the end of my RG58
buried coax feeder with a 1KW unit. No Joy. I replaced the buried RG58
feeder with UR8 which took a new route, avoiding burial. No Joy. I dropped
the antenna and replaced the 300ohm twin feeder from the balun to the T
piece, the T piece itself and the antenna wire and dog bones. No joy. At
this point I consulted the Reflector Oracle, and the most common response
was common mode current on the feeder caused by OCFD unbalance. I did
research and decided to build the renowned GM3SEK choke balun. I chose the
mid range version which covers broadly 5-14MHz and installed it just south
of my 4:1 balun at the North end of the feeder. No Joy. Further ideas from
reflector pundits suggested that it might still be common mode, but coupled
from the antenna into the feeder where my GM3SEK choke wouldn't help.

Fortunately I had bought enough Fair Rite oval cores to build all three
(Lo/Mid/Hi) balun designs, so in a final roll of the dice I built the two
core Hi Band balun and installed it in the Shack next to my rig. The hi band
version has a fairly flat impedance curve and reaches down to 7MHz and up to
30MHz. IT WORKED! I have run 100W on all the bands from 40m to 10m and I
have seen no run away SWR readings. My 25W tune value stays rock solid. As a
final push-my luck step I turned the KPA500 to operate and ran 400W SSB. No
Sweat! All of these things were no-nos yesterday.

The final diagnosis is as follows: Some simple fault perhaps a connector or
a crimp termination caused the first occurrence. I then compounded the
problem by replacing my buried RG58 with an unburied and, I now see, a more
parallel routed feeder which locked the problem in via antenna coupled
common-mode currents. This also explains the fact that I could keep
operating provided I kept power below 40W. Some respondents felt there was a
KAT problem which compounded the problem, I always felt that the problem lay
outside the shack but that maybe, just maybe, the KAT might be a bit
sensitive to the problem. The only thing I would ask the Elecraft design
team to investigate is whether the SWR circuitry has to respond to the
common mode currents as it does. Probably not a firmware issue though!
Thanks to the many people who made so many helpful suggestions.  E Pluribus
Unum!

Ray Coles, C.Eng. M0XDL

10 Littlemoor Road,

Weymouth DT3 6AA