Apart from Jim's advice below, I would supplement as follows:

1.  If you have no intention to take K3 as portable use or your K3 is a station
rig, I would go for KAT500.  This will give you the future liberty of buying a
KPA500 or other linear amplifier.
2.  Once you have a linear, the internal KAT3 tuner will become redundant.  In
fact, I sold the KAT3 to subsidize the purchase of KAT500.  I am using KX3 for
portable use.

73

Johnny VR2XMC

________________________________
 寄件人︰ Jim Brown <j...@audiosystemsgroup.com>
收件人︰ elecraft@mailman.qth.net
傳送日期︰ 2014年01月25日 (週六) 8:04 AM
主題︰ Re: [Elecraft] K3 to KAT500

On 1/24/2014 3:52 PM, tom armour wrote:
> If I buy a K3/100 without auto tuner and a KAT500 is there any additional
> cable I need (other than coax) to connect the two together?

Some folks feel the need for an AUX cable to tell the KAT500 what band
it is on. I don't, because the KAT500 has a very fast frequency counter
that can figure that out with a short burst of RF.

> or does KAT500 come with all cable beeded to connect it to the K3?

Yes.
>   I see a cable for KAT500 to KPA500 but not to the K3.

Yes. To prevent damage to its relays, the KAT500 must be able to
interrupt the keying line to any power amp that is used.  It has an RCA
input, and an RCA output. So ONLY if you're running an amp, you need an
RCA-RCA between rig and KAT500, and another between KAT500 and power amp
PTT.

> Is there anything I'll be missing with the KAT500 vs the internal tuner other
> than portability?

QRP autotune  -- the KAT500 is optimized for high power, and doesn't
autotune very well below about 10W.

73, Jim K9YC

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net/