An ingenious idea but I think there is a flaw in the argument, in that at
the position of the K3's ATU there will be a different impedance to match
than is the case at the KAT500's position further along the line.  Not only
will the impedance move around the Smith Chart a bit but there is also the
input impedance of the KPA500 to consider.  Maybe in practice all of the
above may have a negligible effect, but I somehow doubt it.

73 Stephen G4SJP