From: WA7SPY <wa7...@comcast.net>
To: "elecraft@mailman.qth.net" <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] KPA100 recommended max power for digital
        modes?

Thank you for all the replies they were very informative. In my original post I stated KPA100. It should have been KXPA100 my bad on my part. Most of you figured out what I meant.

I agree about the hi and bye PSK31 QSO's these days. That being said I will say I have had some really nice rag chew QSO's lately on PSK31. I typically start turning my power down during a QSO to see how low I can go and still have a good copy.

I do have my KX3 connected to a Hard Rock 50, 50 watt amplifier. I run the Hard Rock at 20 watts or less on PSK31.

In regard to the KXPA100 my original question was to find out what the max output power would be safe to go to without causing damage to the amp. If I am correct the answer is the amp will protect itself and automatically throttle itself back if the temp to the finals gets too hot.

Now in regard to the KX3 without the amp 2-3 watts is recommended for PSK31. What does 2 -3 watts driving the KXPA100 equate to for output power from the amp. I will be using the Elecraft cable set to integrate the amp. So from what I have read that means the PA menu is selected to on on the KX3. That means the power control on the KX3 is re-indexed. So does that mean it is safe to run in the 20-30 watt range with the amp without over driving the KX3 for PSK31?

Thank you
Glenn Maclean WA7SPY

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com