I’ve enjoyed 6-meters since I was introduced to it in high school in the
mid-60s.  All I used for many years was a Squalo antenna mounted on my Dad’s
chimney on our house in Maryland.  With that and a 1-watt crystal controlled AM
transceiver (Lafayette HA-650), I had a ball working across the country and
even down to Mexico and Cuba when the band opened.  Now-a-days I use a 6M
dipole for monitoring the band.  I also have a 4-element beam when I want to
get a bit more serious.  But from my location here in the Dallas area, I can
work both coasts with the dipole when the band opens.  The trick is to know
when the band opens.

73,
Phil – AD5X