No question about it, they're necessary. I discovered these spurs five years ago. (My how time flies...seems like only yesterday)

Wes  N7WS

On 3/1/2014 5:35 AM, Stewart Rolfe wrote:
After upgrading my Softrock based panadapter to the more sensitive Lp-Pan some
time ago I was seeing microphonic sidebands on cw signals when using the
internal speaker with my early (#145) K3. These increased as AF volume was
turned up and the spacing of the +/- pair corresponded to the selected tone
frequency when looked at carefully. These presumably would have been
transmitted too but wasn't a major problem as I normally use headphones, though
not always.

So I took the opportunity of a recent visit to New York to buy a pair of
stiffeners (and avoid the horrible shipping costs to the UK) and there is now
no sign of the sidebands even at full speaker volume. I fitted to both
synthesizer boards (have the 2nd receiver) so I can swap them if needed in the
future; some have reported they improve the birdie situation but haven't come
to any conclusions on that yet. Elecraft were very helpful and delayed shipping
so they arrived at my hotel 2 days after I checked in, just like they promised.

Some earlier postings questioned the necessity of the stiffener plates in
earlier K3s; for me I now feel it's a cleaner radio with them in.

73,
Stewart Rolfe, GW0ETF