Maybe I need to explain further.  The grid is the network that provides power
in most modern countries.  It is a network of wiring and switches so that power
generated by power plants connected to the grid can be directed from where it
is generated to where it is needed by the power companies without sending
excessive current through any portion of the grid to overload the equipment or
waste any more power than is needed to supply all users.  If a power plant is
lost or needs to shut down for repair or modification it can be accommodated by
other power plants picking up the load.  Power Generating companies sell each
other power and no bodies lights go out unless there is a real problem and then
the companies switch to load shedding so that less critical loads can be shut
down, but the goal is to avoid anyone not having the power they wish to pay for
and use.  I suppose that David wishes to operate free from the grid to prove a
point, but the grid
 is very efficient and you cannot save money by generating your own electricity
unless the cost of transmission lines is excessive, such as a mountain cabin or
pipeline equipment in a remote location.  Hams might want to be capable of
operating free of the grid for emergency operation when the community loses the
ability to generate enough electricity, like the F-117s did to Bagdad during
the Gulf Wars.  Nuclear attacks or insane environmentalists getting their way
comes to mind.  In which case, we will need gasoline, diesel or propane fueled
generators to fill the need until we can restore power.  We will be in a world
of hurt until we can reestablish the grid.

Willis 'Cookie' Cooke, TDXS DX Chairman
K5EWJ & Trustee N5BPS, USS Cavalla, USS Stewart