Yes. Exactly. 8 separate serial ports fed from a single USB port. There are many different types of these devices. The one I use has one USB connector and 4 cables with DB9 connectors already attached - which makes it very convenient to hook up everything requiring a serial port with one cable. I think it cost about $50 on Amazon and other places.

73, Doug -- K0DXV