* On 2014 06 Apr 10:43 -0500, David Cole wrote:
> KUSB          USB Cable for connection to Linux box

That may not be necessary as the Prolific driver issue that exists on
Windows doesn't exist on Linux, IME.  I use an IO Gear Prolific based
USB to serial adapter without issue and have for several years over a
number of kernel releases as I run Debian Unstable on the box the K3 is
connected to.  I chose the IO Gear after determining that it generated
far less RFI than a cheaper Prolific adapter from another source.

> All filters below are in Both Main RX and Sub RX
> SSB:
> KFL3A-2.8     2.8, 8 Pole Replacement filter, RX, plus Sub RX
> KFL3A-2.1     2.1, 8 Pole

I have the 2.7 and 2.1 k filters.  In my situation when I set the High
Cut on LSB to cut out a group that is 2 kHz lower than our net frequency
every morning--dialing the high audio frequency down to 2150 Hz--the rig
cuts in the 2.1 kHz filter and they are GONE.  I would not be without
the 2.1 kHz filter, but I do question my need for the 2.8 kHz filter
even though it has steeper skirts.  I've found that dialing the
bandwidth down to 2.6 or 2.5 kHz probably results in the same
performance.  You have to know, but I've been satisfied with the 2.7 kHz
filter and am glad to have the 2.1 kHz filter for rough/contest
conditions.

> CW:
> KFL3A-1K      1 K, 8 Pole
> KFL3A-400     400 Hz, 8 Pole

I also have the 1 kHz filter that I prefer for some digi stuff and
general listening on CW.  I also have the 500 and 250 Hz filters and
really like the more narrow BW for source and pounce on a crowded
contest band.  As you are choosing the AM filter you'll have to decide
on which to choose so the 400 Hz filter may be a very good compromise
for your operating preferences.

I appreciate that you're choosing the 8 pole filters.  As you have
nearby stations which I don't have, this may be a very wise choice.  The
DSP does a lot on its own but will benefit greatly with good filtering
ahead of it and your choices show that you're thinking in this
direction.  I think you will enjoy the performance.

73, de Nate, N0NB >>