Having gone through a similar decision process, I¹d make only these
suggestions:

1.  I built all of mine (K3, KX3, KAT500, KPA500, and P3) from kits.  Not
to save a few bucks - though it did that - but to have a feel for what was
in the box in case I ever needed to go into them.  Building them was
enjoyable and feasible, even - as someone else once said on this list -
for a lawyer.

2.  Both the K3 and the KX3 include pretty much all the options, with
three exceptions - I don¹t operate on 2M, I didn¹t think the TXCO would be
useful, and I didn¹t do the voice recorder since I operate exclusively CW.
 For that reason my filter set includes the 6 Khz AM (for SW general
coverage), the 2.8 for SSB in case I ever try that (though I haven¹t done
it yet in the 56 years I¹ve been licensed) or if I ever want to sell the
rig, and then the narrowest three for CW.

3.  I bought the 8-pole filters, and have no excuse or reason for doing
so.  Also got the same five for the sub receiver as for the main.  Again I
can¹t tell you why.  Seemed like a good idea at the time and I haven¹t
regretted it yet.  Buying 8-poles does save some time later in configuring
for offsets, but I doubt that amounts to much.

4.  What I would suggest is thinking about buying at the outset whatever
filters you¹ll eventually want in the sub receiver.  Installing the sub
into the K3 was the hardest part of the entire build - requires fingers
more agile than mine, though I eventually got it done.  It took a couple
of hours and several tries including unbuilding large sections when stuff
got dropped and lost in the innards . . .   As I remember, to install an
additional filter in the sub receiver requires removing it entirely, and
reinstalling.  Life is too short for that; there are pileups to pierce.

Ted, KN1CBR