Yes, it is heard on the sidetone. You may or may not detect it at 30 wpm, but you definitely will at 35. The sidetone is a close representation of the signal as sent.

At slower speeds, QRQ mode also makes full QSK sound 'cleaner', but I don't think that there is any detectable effect on the transmitted signal under 30 wpm.

I leave QRQ turned on. I don't normally use SHIFT, so I don't miss it. When I turn on RIT/XIT, QRQ goes off and I avoid it when sending at higher speeds. When I need to operate split. I do this by listening to the DX on the subreceiver, tuning the pileup with the main. That way I do not have to activate SPLIT, which also turns off QRQ.

This is a small defect, but it is real. It is not going to make me give up my K3! When anyone asks for my recommendation for a high-performance transceiver, I recommend the K3. That doesn't mean it is perfect.

I have discussed this issue with Wayne and understand that the solution is not simple, and probably not fixable without a hardware mod. I for one would be interested in buying new synth boards if they would solve this problem as well as improve the QSK performance (it's too noisy).