-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Vic K2VCO
Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2005 4:20 PM
To: Elecraft Reflector
Subject: [Elecraft] Clever antenna tuning ideas wanted

OK, here is what I want to do:

I have a 33' (10m) vertical with the base about 10' (3.3m) above ground.

  It has four 8' (2.4m) radials which are connected to the feedpoint
through a coil which resonates the system on 7 MHz.  It works as well or
better than any vertical that I've used on 40m -- low SWR and good
results.  It's fed through a relatively short (20', 6m) length of
RG-213.

I would like to use it on 80m and 30m as well.  My first try was to
simply use the KAT100 to tune it.  It tunes fine on both bands (1:1 at
the rig), but results are fair-to-poor on 30 and poor-to-worthless on
80.

On 30m, the coax losses are reasonable (the SWR on the coax is about 8
to 1, but it's very short).  I suspect the problem is that the radial
ground system is very poor on this band (on the other hand, the long
vertical radiator should provide a slight amount of gain).  So I may try
paralleling a set of radials tuned for 30m.  They will also be short,
but resonated with a coil or stub.  Does this sound like a good
analysis/solution?

On 80m, it's more complicated.  The ground system is terrible, the
radiation resistance of the vertical very low, and the SWR and losses on
the coax very high.  No wonder it's a dummy load!  I guess the way to
deal with it is to add more tuned radials in parallel and a switchable
base network, but I would like to avoid any more control wires that have
to go through my lightning suppression panel (I can't pass DC through
the coax, either).  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco