Don Wilhelm wrote:

A series circuit resonant at 30 meters will do a good job of shorting out
the 40 meter inductance (no relay) - but the inductor used for 40 meters
would have to be modified to compensate for the effect of the series circuit
when on 40 and produce the same resultant inductance.

GM4ESD also suggested this and I am going to try this, since it will require the least modification to my existing antenna. I will build up the circuit on my bench and adjust it for the reactance shown by EZNEC with my MFJ analyzer. Then I'll hook it up and make final adjustments on the antenna. It will be interesting to see if the antenna appears to perform better.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco