I would take issue with your answer to #1. It really depends on your situation.
For most of the folks on this list your answer very well may be correct. In
areas where there is very high station density, it probably is not. Here in
Silicon Valley there are a LOT of very strong near-by signals. The 1.8 KHz
filter keeps close-in LOUD signals out of my passband so that the DSP filters
have a chance to do their job. This is the whole purpose of the filter, to keep
other strong signals out of the passband so that the DSP can do the real work.

By the way, for contesting (actually my main operating mode), I normally listen
to SSB signals with low cut at 500 and high cut in the 1500-1800 range, well
inside the 1.8KHz filter’s purview. Interestingly, I use matched 500 Hz 5-pole
filters for CW contesting, where I can get within just a few hundred hertz of
the local big signals without problem. My normal DSP bandwidth is something
less that 500 Hz. It’s sideband contesting where I need the narrow filters.
Since most of the local big guns also use K3s, phase noise and other similar
problems are not a factor here. I really can get close to these folks and work
lots of stations without either one of us being disturbed. I credit all this to
the great RF system my friends have created.

When I’m not in one of the big contests, or just casual QSOs where the big guns
aren’t a factor, the 2.7 KHz filter does an outstanding job on whatever mode I
use.

I guess there is an exception to everything, and indeed there are times when
the narrow filters are needed. Some of us actually do fall in that category. Oh
to live back in the south where I definitely didn't have the problem…

Jack B, W6FB (ex-WA4FIB)