Jim,

Per a previous recommendation from Elecraft, if you want to connect an
antenna directly to the input of your P3, you should put a pair of
paralleled diodes (in opposite polarity with respect to each other) across
the P3 input jack to protect the P3 from a static discharge.

I have used a small single-turn magnetic loop tuned to 40 meters to help
me isolate a noise source on 40m, and it worked very well. IMHO you really
need a proper magnetic loop which inherently has sharp and deep nulls to
be able to identify the direction from which the noise is coming. My 40
meter loop was 48" in diameter, and it worked fine without any additional
preamplification. However, for the same efficiency, an 80m loop would need
to be 8' in diameter which is a bit impractical to carry around. Although
I haven't tried it, I'm pretty sure that a 3' or 4' diameter loop tuned to
80m would still provide enough signal for the P3 and should exhibit very
sharp nulls to help you locate the noise source.

One other suggestion of an antenna that would be much smaller in size, yet
would still exhibit nulls is a small ferrite bar antenna similar to that
which is used in broadcast band (AM) radios. However, I have no experience
with that kind of receiving antenna.

Good luck w/ your noise sleuthing!

73, Dale
WA8SRA