I'll restate:  The length of coax should be as short as feasible because the
losses from mismatch (SWR) are highest when compared to window or ladder line.

The shortest distance from my rig to the choke is about ten feet unless I bring
the window line inside (too problematic) or put the rig in the window next to
the choke (won't happen).  That is what I use, ten feet of coax; the shortest
possible piece, for me.  Ideally it should be much shorter.

I most carefully explained (rather than presuming an understanding and trying
to be more clear) in the last note that adding 30' of window line resulted in
different tuner values, but no change in the band segments where I could
operate at reasonably low SWR ergo no significant (cumulative) change at the
rig (I was still band segment limited, same places).  On some (20M and up)
bands, retuning was not required; it's simply two 'long wire' antennas in
phase.

Empirical evidence is neither right or wrong.  It may bring more questions than
answers, but it can't lie.  The tuner likely compensated for the slight change
in the feed, the antenna elements were unchanged and the end result was no
effective change.

Changing the coax portion length of the feed changes everything dramatically;
the tuner values, the losses, lowering the SWR to give me ability anywhere
160-10.  But I don't want the line losses above 40 M; it gets worse quickly
above that.  I only add that section in when home, I'm DXing and QRO.

In this case, my findings may go against standard beliefs, but stands as
evidence nonetheless.

When I move the shack upstairs and replace the window line (the single strand
solid copper elements make me nervous) I'll be sure to have an analyzer to make
more careful measurements.  In the meantime, my 'wrong' system is working.

Why wrong?  No part of the system (antenna or feed) is ham band resonant, which
is why:

It's natively high in SWR;
A tuner is required;
It works on all bands (the KAT3 tuner loves it, the KAT500 under QRO, not so
much on 160/80);
Any system change may give unexpected results.

It's at a point where it works on all bands about as well one can expect for a
simple wire dipole; more so considering the lack of height.  Over 200 countries
later, I have to say it's working.

However, I miss my tower and beams...  They're more effective and easier.  Next
house I'll get them back.

I hope this answered your questions and concerns.

73,
Rick wa6nhc

Tiny iPhone 5 keypad, typos are inevitable