Hi Michael,
>From the way you are describing things, I would suspect you have a problem
>somewhere other than the KPA500.

With my remote setup:
RS232, straight serial, no USB-to-serial
KPA500,
KPA500 software (not the utility),  are you using this software?  Here's a
link, scroll down about midway to the Remote Software.
http://www.elecraft.com/k2_remote.htm

I control the software via Chrome Remote desktop and it will power on & off all
day long without missing a beat.

Question, why are you concerned with turning off all the AC to the amp?

73 de Jim - KE8G