No your history is not correct.  The apple II was available by at least '78
using apple DOS.  A few years later MSDOS was created out of desperation by MS
when IBM ( for the upcoming IBM PC) wouldn't buy their languages ( MS' only
product) unless it came with an operating system, something MS didn't produce.
Gates wad able to buy a barely legal clone of CP/M, the most popular op system
at the time, and they produced it for IBM as PCDOS.  They then marketed it for
themselves as MSDOS.

Brian KB1VBF

Sent from my iPad