Hi Sal,
Here is a method to train your KAT500:

Here is a procedure to set-up the tuner for all bands so that you do not have
to go through a Full Search Tuning cycle each time you change to a frequency or
band that requires retuning.
*       Select the desired band on the K3 and find a clear starting frequency
near the bottom of the band.
*       If you are using the KPA500 amplifier, tap OPER to put the amp into
STBY mode.
*       Set up your K3 so it will output between 20 and 100 watts when holding
TUNE.
*       If you are using basic band switching, tap your key to allow the tuner
to measure the present band.  You must do this before selecting an antenna.  If
using enhanced band switching, the tuner reads the band automatically.
*       Tap the KAT500 ANT to select the required antenna.
*       Tap the KAT500 MODE to select AUTO or MAN.
o       Tap the KAT500 TUNE.  The AUTO or MAN LED will start to flash.
o       Hold the K3's TUNE to apply power to the KAT500 and it will find the
best match that it can and then stop.  The SWR LEDs will show the tuning
progress and the tuner will stop clacking its relays when it finds the best
VSWR.
o       Tap the K3's TUNE to stop transmitting.
*       After training the tuner, you should save the configuration file.  If
you have trouble with your tuner, the configuration file can be sent to
Elecraft Support of in-depth analysis.

Hint:  When training your tuner for various operating frequencies, it is useful
and instructive to monitor the tuner's operation with the KAT Utility Operate
screen.

After doing this on all your favorite frequencies, run the tuner in MAN mode to
avoid the sometimes false tuning that occurs when running SSB in AUTO mode.

(Above is from Chapter 3 of "The Elecraft KPA500 Amplifier and KAT500 Tuner" by
KE7X, now available from Elecraft part number E740244.)

Cheers and 73,
Fred KE7X

"The Elecraft K3: Design, Configuration and Operation 2nd ed"
"The Elecraft KX3 - Going for the summit"
"The Elecraft KPA500 and KAT500 - the K-Line Dream Station")
All now available from www.elecraft.com
and
KPA500 and KAT500 Quick Set Up Guide
http://www.ke7x.com/home/k-line-introduction-and-set-up-guide