To: <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>; <d...@g0dja.co.uk>
Sent: Friday, June 27, 2014 2:58 PM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] KX3 - UHF emissions

Hi Dave,

Thanks for performing this comparison test. I admit that I found it difficult to perform repeatable measurements, as levels varied by as much as 10 to 15dB due to position and orientation of the rig and cables and my position with
respect to the equipment.  That is why I chose to provide considered
representative figures derived from multiple observations as opposed to precise
measurements or screen-shots, but I could provide screen-shots by way of
examples if anyone feels that would be really useful.

My KX3 is #01685, purchased complete (not kit) with the roofing filter and ATU options, from Waters & Stanton in the UK. I fitted the battery charger when it
shipped, and have also recently fitted the SideKX end-plates and a VE7FMN
CoolerKX heatsink (although as noted before, the issue described pre-dates these
retrofits).

Your results lead me to hope that my KX3 might be defective and that the problem could be resolved by repair or exchange. I suppose I should order a KX3-PCKT cable set to try in case the official I/Q cable mitigates this issue, but I have tried the 2.5mm to 3.5mm stereo cable that came with my Sennheiser headphones
and that didn't seem any better.

I look forward to hearing confirmation from Elecraft of whether or not these
emissions are considered typical for this build standard of KX3.

Cheers, 73

Darren, G0HWW