Bill,

With the NB, it will often help to *increase* the RF gain or turn on the preamp. The noise impulse must be above a threshold before it will trigger the blanking function. Keep in mind that setting the NB so the blanking pulse is wider may result in distorted signals. It does just what the name suggests, it puts a blank *hole* in the received signal.

The NB is better for fast rise time impulse noise such as lightning and automotive ignition noise. NR will do nothing to help that type noise.

I do not believe there is any one magic bullet. What works for one noise may not work for the next one.

73,
Don W3FPR