A couple of weeks ago I went on a kayaking trip to the northeast corner of
Vancouver Island.  With my luggage already overweight,  I debated whether to
bring my KX1 or KX3.  I knew I would have only one night camping on a remote
island in which to operate, and the KX1 made more sense.  I brought the KX3.

I threw a wire into a very wet tree, and using the internal batteries, started
to tune around.  Near 14.060 I heard a W5 camping on a lake in New Mexico
having a QSO.  I waited for him to complete, and gave him a call.  To my
surprise, he called back.  Though he was a solid 579 at my tent QTH overlooking
Johnstone Straight, he gave me a 429 and it took some repeats before he got my
info right.  What a thrill!   It was a joy to tune around and hear such a low
noise floor--the only noisemakers for miles were the occasional cruise ship.
Later that night, I heard a pod of orcas breathing in the cove outside my tent,
including at least one calf.

And I was maybe ten miles from Telegraph Cove.

72,

the former WD6DBM/VE7

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android