On Wed, 6 Aug 2014 22:12:01 -0700
eric norris via Elecraft <elecraft@mailman.qth.net> wrote:

> A couple of weeks ago I went on a kayaking trip to the northeast corner of
> Vancouver Island.  With my luggage already overweight,  I debated whether to
> bring my KX1 or KX3.  I knew I would have only one night camping on a remote
> island in which to operate, and the KX1 made more sense.  I brought the KX3.
>
> I threw a wire into a very wet tree, and using the internal batteries,
> started to tune around.  Near 14.060 I heard a W5 camping on a lake in New
> Mexico having a QSO.  I waited for him to complete, and gave him a call.  To
> my surprise, he called back.  Though he was a solid 579 at my tent QTH
> overlooking Johnstone Straight, he gave me a 429 and it took some repeats
> before he got my info right.  What a thrill!   It was a joy to tune around
> and hear such a low noise floor--the only noisemakers for miles were the
> occasional cruise ship.  Later that night, I heard a pod of orcas breathing
> in the cove outside my tent, including at least one calf.
>
> And I was maybe ten miles from Telegraph Cove.
>
> 72,
>
> the former WD6DBM/VE7
>
> Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

> Message delivered to kg7...@fwarc.org

Yep, ain't it FUN!!

Tom  KG7CFC

--
Life takes on meaning when you become motivated, set goals and charge after them
in an unstoppable manner.

^^^^
Tom Taylor  KG7CFC
openSUSE 13.1 (64-bit), Kernel 3.11.6-4-default,
KDE 4.11.2, AMD Phenom X4 955, GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Nvidia 337.19)
16GB RAM -- 3x1.5TB sata2 -- 128GB-SSD
FF 27.0, claws-mail 3.10.0
registered linux user 263467