I will say it one more time.........there are more hams trying for DXCC on
1.2GHZ than operate SSTV

George, W6GF

On Sunday, August 17, 2014 6:01 AM, Fred Jensen <k6...@foothill.net> wrote:

On 8/15/2014 2:56 PM, Wayne Burdick wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is SSTV demodulation/display something we should add to the long term
> wish-list for our panadapters? I hear SSTV signals in the 20-meter
> SSB segment pretty regularly, and I think it would be nice to
> eavesdrop on the visuals, in living color, with all the HF-induced
> idiosyncrasies. But we won't bother with this if I'm the only one
> who's interested.

You might try MMSSTV or MixW and just monitor 14230 for awhile before
putting any engineering effort into it.  I let MixW run on 14230 all one
weekend and then went back and looked at some of the images [MixW saves
all received images].  A surprising number [like half] were unanswered
CQ's with pictures of scantily clad women.  I haven't checked it in a
number of years.

There are some digital SSTV signals starting around 14233 or so ... I
don't know anything about them.

> If we did consider adding SSTV, we'd need to decide which SSTV
> format(s) to support. If there's just one that's reasonably
> universal, great. I'm pretty sure we'd start with just one, given
> limited engineering time.

There's a half dozen or more analog modes, most of what I decoded was
one of the Scottie's [there are several].  I suspect that, to be
attractive, your software would need to decode the digital burst at the
beginning and auto-select the mode like MixW does.

We all get to use whatever modes we want ... personally, I was bored by
SSTV and haven't looked at it in years.  YMMV however.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2014 Cal QSO Party 4-5 Oct 2014
- www.cqp.org

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net/
Message delivered to georgefrit...@yahoo.com