On 8/15/2014 2:56 PM, Wayne Burdick wrote:
Hi all,

Is SSTV demodulation/display something we should add to the long term
wish-list for our panadapters? I hear SSTV signals in the 20-meter
SSB segment pretty regularly, and I think it would be nice to
eavesdrop on the visuals, in living color, with all the HF-induced
idiosyncrasies. But we won't bother with this if I'm the only one
who's interested.

You might try MMSSTV or MixW and just monitor 14230 for awhile before putting any engineering effort into it. I let MixW run on 14230 all one weekend and then went back and looked at some of the images [MixW saves all received images]. A surprising number [like half] were unanswered CQ's with pictures of scantily clad women. I haven't checked it in a number of years.

There are some digital SSTV signals starting around 14233 or so ... I don't know anything about them.

If we did consider adding SSTV, we'd need to decide which SSTV
format(s) to support. If there's just one that's reasonably
universal, great. I'm pretty sure we'd start with just one, given
limited engineering time.

There's a half dozen or more analog modes, most of what I decoded was one of the Scottie's [there are several]. I suspect that, to be attractive, your software would need to decode the digital burst at the beginning and auto-select the mode like MixW does.

We all get to use whatever modes we want ... personally, I was bored by SSTV and haven't looked at it in years. YMMV however.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2014 Cal QSO Party 4-5 Oct 2014
- www.cqp.org