Don't overlook traps. My low band antenna is a double (fan?) dipole with 80 M traps in one leg for 160/80 and 40 M traps in the other leg for 60/40 coverage. It seems to work fine at about 55 feet.

In an inverted V configuration, just install the legs at 90 degrees to each other for minimal interaction. I did this for a 40/80 double V which also worked great with the top at 40 feet.

73, Charlie k3ICH

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Wiley" <jwi...@gci.net>
To: <d...@w3fpr.com>; <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Sunday, September 14, 2014 3:30 AM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] OT: Antenna ideas for a cheap ham

Don -

Did you mean 80 meters and 30 meters? 40 meters and 30 meters should be OK, even if the frequency separation is not optimal.

- Jim, KL7CC

On 9/13/2014 9:31 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:
I failed to mention another point with regard to fan dipoles. Do not mix 3rd harmonic radiators on the same coax. In other words, stay away from combinations of 40 meters and 15 meters, and also 40 meters and 30 meters. They may work, but tuning problems are 'iffy'.

73,
Don W3FPR

Message delivered to pin...@erols.com