I agree. There are only two valid reasons for a transceiver refusing to
obey a direct operator command: to avoid physical damage, or to avoid
transmitting illegally out-of-band.

So when the operator presses the SPLIT button, the transceiver should do
as it's told! Every other make of transceiver will do that, and will
automatically reset the second VFO (or second RX) to the same band and
mode as the main. Most will also allow the operator to program an
automatic frequency offset to eliminate any possibility of transmitting
on top of the DX station.

Those "Smart Split" options have evolved into an industry standard for a
very good reason: it is what users need and expect. The K3 is not being
uniquely smart in behaving differently... just uniquely ignorant of the
way that SPLIT is used in real life.

Please don't anybody say "Use a macro" - I wrote my own Smart Split
macro on the first day that facility was released. But the point is: I
shouldn't have needed to do that. Industry-standard options like Smart
Split should have been part of the K3's core firmware since version
1.0.0.0.

Sigh...  seven years down the line, I can't believe we're still needing
to beg for something that is so industry-standard and so obvious.

73 from Ian GM3SEK