On 2014-10-02 12:03 PM, dm...@nexicom.net wrote:>

Joe you are correct that if there are physical problems and poor
adjustments it will be bad but I was assuming a good working setup
with a quality sound card that is properly adjusted at both the
computer and K3 that it will be fine.

Unfortunately, that is not a good assumption.  Even the best of
stations with *professional* operators and maintenance can have
adjustment problems or equipment failures (I've documented such
even at W1AW in the last couple years).  When you add in the
relative inexperience of someone new at sound card based digital
modes, conditions become very bad very quickly and I can provide
example after example of maladjusted rigs, improperly operating
home brew interfaces, etc.

At least, by placing a narrow filter in the transmit audio path,
the K3 prevents the greatest number of those errors.  Other rigs
with no monitor, no audio controls, ineffective ALC, and no audio
filtering become QRM generators if one looks at them cross-eyed.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV