From: "Mike Morrow" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tom Althoff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 1:44 PM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K1 with internal battery

| Tom asked:
|
| > Does anyone have a link to a photo of a K1 with the KBT-1
| > internal battery installed with the K1's cover in place?
| >
| > I cannot find any photo's of what the two knobs look like
| > to access the battery compartment.
|
| The "knobs" you speak of are just replacements for the two small screws that
hold the K1 top cover
on at the rear.  The KBT1 screws have a larger knurled head that allows them to
be loosened or
tightened using only finger force.  The replacement top cover that comes with
the KBT1 is held in
place in the front by a lip, so only the two screws at the rear are required.

| I removed my KBT1 after having it in place for about 18 months.   I didn't
like the looks of the
KBT1 top cover and the sound of the micro speaker attached to it, compared to
the original cover and
speaker.  More importantly, I don't like a source of potential chemical leakage
from batteries
inside the K1's case.  There is no physical barrier around the KBT1 AA-cell
pack that will retain
leakage from a cell.  I much prefer to use a small external 10-AA cell pack
rather than the 8-AA
cell pack of the KBT1.

| The KBT1 should have been made easily removable so that the compromises
associated with having it
installed need only be suffered when absolutely needed.  The KBT1 *should*
attach via a cable with a
polarized two-pin female connector to a male connector *anchored* on the RF
board.  This would allow
easy removal at any time.  The current design has the connections made by
soldered connections, and
even if you jury-rig in a connector in the power leads, one side of the
connector will then be
floating around creating potential shorts when the KBT1 is removed.