David,

I did not have my brain fully in gear on this situation before. The GPIO input is just that - an input to a 3 volt logic device with only a 500 ohm series resistor. So there is nothing to make it either a high nor a low level. In the digital world it is known as a 'floating input' and without some other (external) hardware addition, it may appear to be either at a high or a low level depending on the "shifting of the winds in the desert" Sooo - that may be a normal response when a LO function is used on the GPIO input signal. Take note of the part in the menu instructions saying that some external interface circuitry may be required.

The GPIO input has no pullup resistor to 3 volts to keep it high - that means the voltage just floats at whatever it happens to be. If that voltage happens to be below the logic threshold for a LO level, the function will become active when that menu option is selected - and will happen with nothing connected to the GPIO input. (The same might happen when HI is selected in the menu too).

The solution is to bring that input level to a high state with an external pullup resistor. One end of the resistor goes to a voltage source (ideally 3 volts, but up to 5.5 volts will be tolerated. The other end of the resistor goes to the GPIO input (ACC2 connector tip) - and oh yes, the negative of the source powering it would connect to the connector shell. Two AA battery cells in series and a 33K resistor should work nicely and the batteries should last a long time.

Then your PTT switch, footpedal, etc. would place a short between the ACC2 connector tip and shell when it is active.

Note also that if you make the GPIO menu selections for either HI or LO, that condition may become active any time the plug is removed from the ACC2 jack. In other words, you must connect an external high or low logic level before turning the KX3 on.

You may find it easier to build an adapter and use the microphone jack PTT input which has an internal pullup resistor which assures a high state when the PTT circuit is open or inactive.

73,
Don W3FPR

David,
Contact KX3support(at)elecraft.com to see if they can offer any additional wisdom. If it has to go back to Elecraft for work, that contact at support is the starting place to obtain an RSA.

73,
Don W3FPR