Have to admit, outside of actually combat, that was the scariest thing I've ever experienced. The battery was a generic, Chinese manufactured, lithium-Ion pack made up of 3 main, but unmarked, cells, wrapped in a fairly tough flexible, plastic wrap. A little forensics leads me to think the flexible outer shell probably absorbed some the initial blast and helped contain the shrapnel - or at least slow it down. I shutter to think what would have happened had it had exploded inside the steel case of of the equipment it was meant for. I bought it from one of the many vendors on ebay - I couldn't really say which one. I use these in many different projects. They're very convenient. The charger is a Tenergy Universal Lithium-Ion Smart Charger. I've used it 100's of times without a problem. I think this was just a couple of defective cells. Or, perhaps bad wiring.

All I can say is the explosion was far beyond anything I've ever heard of happening with bad Li-Io cells. If it had been inside the steel case, it would have been a hand grenade.

73, Doug -- K0DXV