Jim, I have also had these reports when I tried to use a dynamic mic such as a EV664A and Heil PR22, it gets pronounced at the mic gain and compressor is turned up. I don't think there is any setting you turned on. Because of this I have gone back to electret mics. Will be watching to see what sort of responses you may get back.

Gary Mitchelson
NC3Z Davidsonville, MD FM18
NC3Z/4 Pamlico County, NC FM15
www.mitchelson.org