For contesting I believe you'd find the more robust receiver of the K3/100 to be a real plus, Ted.

73, Phil W7OX

On 1/3/15 2:57 PM, Dauer, Edward wrote:
So, if a CW-only, DX-and-contest oriented Op wanted a 100W transceiver /
panadapter  system from Elecraft for a 2nd QTH, what does the extra $700
buy?  What factors to take into account in making the choice?  One other
complication - now retired, I may try to do some holiday style DX
operating in easily-accessed tropical climes.  Is a K3 plus DC supply (2
pcs) much more of a traveling burden than a KX3 / KXPA100 plus power
supply (3 pcs)?

Thanks,

Ted, KN1CBR