I am surprised the moderators have not stepped in to end these stupid, stupid and more stupid posts. Geez, and I thought the SKN was bad. What happened to Elecraft questions?
73s
john

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim F." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 8:03 PM
Subject: [Elecraft] Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid - OT

One dangerous (electrical) mistake was at 9 years old.

Sent away to Johnson Smith & Co.  for plans and parts
to make a
radio the ad said, used no batteries or electrical
power.

It turned out to be a crystal set complete with
cat-whisker, crystal, terminals, coil form, and wire.
I followed the directions faithfully and bought an old
junk store 50 cent headphone set (five weeks
allowance..)

I had no idea what an antenna or ground was, and
neither did anyone else in my family. So I put on the
headphones and inserted the bare antenna and ground
leads into the house power socket. There was a flash
and the house went dark.  My mom excitedly replaced
the fuses. I inspected the circuit, reversed the two
wires and did it again.  Same problem, but with a
stern warning never to do that again..

Another stupid mistake was committed a month ago as I
plugged in a "new" antique Heathkit Condenser checker
without checking the AC wiring.  The person who wired
it long ago connected the hot side of the AC line to
the black ground probe and as soon as the probe
touched a chassis that I was working on, there was an
amazing blast of light and a bang just before the room
went black...I sat there for a very long moment
contemplating life,
and wondering if I was still here on earth.  Could
feel my
pulse pounding in my temples, and that was a very good
sign.

Could have been easily killed either time. Guess there
must
be some other purpose for staying here on earth...
and I'm dying to find out what.

Jim - W1FMR