OK, HOW I DID IT !!!

First, I made a tool, a heat shield.  I made this out of a piece of tin from an
Altoids box.  I used a set of relay holes on the circuit board to mark on this
piece of tin the precise location of all ten holes with a needle.  Then I put
the piece of tin on a piece of wood, I wanted a soft backing, and I punched the
holes with a nail.  I made the holes big enough for the soldered relay pins to
poke through the holes.  Further more, because I punched the holes with a nail
into wood, the wood side of the tin was pushed out around each hole.

I used tin snips to cut out the rectangle larger than the relay area, forty
five cuts in the corners of the shield, folded the sides up perhaps 20 degrees.
 What I have made here is a heat shield.  The poked through metal from punching
holes holds the heat shield up off the PC board.  But the soldered pins all
show on the top side of the heat shield.  The heat shield spread out more than
a quarter of an inch beyond the pins.

Now, I placed the PC board across two piles of books so that the offending
relay is below.  I gently gripped the relay with a vice-grips with a piece of
leather between the vice-grips and the relay.  the pile of books was tall
enough that the vice-grips hung down between them, putting weight pulling on
the relay out of the board.

Now.  I took a hand held mini-butane torch, cost fifteen dollars at the local
hardware store, and flamed ALL the pins at once.  In seconds, the vice-grips
pulled the relay out of the holes.

Relays all fine.  PC board fine.   Piece of cake.

E-mail me if you want a picture of the heat shield.

Good luck,

Fred - KT5X
K2 # 700