Sverre, thanks for the interesting information on CW pitch!

About 15 to 20 years ago, myself and maybe some 15 other USA hams got into
QSO'ing at QRQ. (In my opinion, QRQ is anything over about 60 wpm) I had
served in the Navy for 11 years, with six of those years spent on Navy
aircraft carriers, mainly in the Gulf of Tonkin. Our berthing spaces were
always immediately below the flight deck, toward the rear of the carrier; in
other words about ten feet below where Navy aircraft were landing on the
steel deck. My 'normal' hearing suffered greatly! When operating QRQ,
sometimes with QSO's at around 120 wpm, but mostly >80 wpm, I found that a
pitch frequency of about 520 hz was best for me; however as the years wore
on, I found going down to around 480 hz was much better (as my hearing
continued to decrease due to age!). Now, at age 76, I finally had hearing
test done and found my hearing peaks at 375 hz, and 1 kc and 185 hz is 12 dB
below that. The so-called "advantage" of this is that our hearing now also
acts as filters for atmospheric static noise above about 800 hz.

I think that as we age, all of us lose most of the high frequency audio
spectrum and the typical manufacturer's classic sidetone frequency of 700 hz
is seldom optimum for the 'over 45' age group. Still, IMO, the 'best' CW
pitch is only determined by the individual.

73,
Tom - W4BQF