      From: Rick Tavan N6XI <rta...@gmail.com>
 To: Sverre Holm (LA3ZA) <la...@nrrl.no>
Cc: Elecraft Reflector <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
 Sent: Monday, March 2, 2015 12:25 AM
 Subject: Re: [Elecraft] CW listening pitch

Yes, I've noticed this. I have no real knowledge of why low tones seem to
make for better copy in QRM but I have guessed that it has to do with the
relative difference in interfering tone for a given offset from the desired
signal. If you listen to 1000 Hz (which many ops do) and the interfering
signal is 100 Hz away, the difference is only 10%. But if you listen to 400
Hz, the difference is 25%. So the filter in your brain may be more
effective distinguishing 400 from 500 Hz than it is in distinguishing 1000
from 1100 Hz. Just a guess.

73,

/Rick N6XI

--